June / July 2008
From the Editor. Preaching the Word requires confidence in the infallible nature of the divinely given message of Scripture. If you are interested in the relationship between incarnation and inspiration, then you will enjoy Lane Tipton's article "Incarnation, Inspiration, and Pneumatology: A Reformed Incarnational Analogy." Preaching the Word also requires confidence in the Spirit of God who empowers the preacher in the preaching moment. Among other important points, Stephen Doe accents the need for this confidence in his article, "The Voice From the Pulpit: John Calvin and Preaching."
Men who are licentiates of OPC presbyteries may now request free subscriptions to the annual printed edition of OS. Each presbytery will also receive copies to distribute to men presently under care each year.
Blessings in the Lamb,
Gregory Edward Reynolds
From the Archives. ["PREACHING"]
- "Catechetical Preaching" (R. E. Knodel, Jr.) 7:1 (Jan. 1998): 16-19.
- "Challenges in Preaching" (James Visscher) 7:2 (Apr. 1998): 43-46.
- "Editorial [on Preaching]" (G. I. Williamson) 1:2 (Apr. 1992): 25-26.
- "Editorial [on Preaching]" (G. I. Williamson) 2:4 (Oct. 1993): 73-74.
- "Especially the Preaching of the Word" (Larry Wilson) 9:2 (Apr. 2000): 30-34.
- "Excerpts from 'Preaching and Preachers' " (Martin Lloyd-Jones) 9:2 (Apr. 2000): 28-29.
- "Help in Using the Original Languages in Preaching" (Jay E. Adams) 3:1 (Jan. 1994): 23.
- "How to Assess a Sermon: A Checklist for Ruling Elders" (William Shishko) 12:2 (Apr. 2003): 43-44.
- "An Outline of Jay Adams' Preaching With Purpose" (D. Patrick Ramsey) 11:2 (Apr. 2002): 35-39.
- "A Plan for Catechetical Preaching" (Jeffrey K. Boer) 3:2 (Apr. 1994): 44-45.
- "Rudiments of Preparing an Expository Sermon" (Larry Wilson) 11:2 (Apr. 2002): 33-34.
- "Resurrecting the Resurrection" (G. I. Williamson) 5:3 (Jul. 1996): 69-70.
- "Some Thoughts on Catechetical Preaching" (G. I. Williamson) 11:2 (Apr. 2002): 43-44.
- "Some Thoughts on Preaching" (G. I. Williamson) 3:2 (Apr. 1994): 42-43.
- "What Ruling Elders Can Do to Promote Better Preaching" (Edwin J. Kreykes) 11:2 (Apr. 2002): 40-42.
Ordained Servant exists to help encourage, inform, and equip church officers for faithful, effective, and God glorifying ministry in the visible church of the Lord Jesus Christ. Its primary audience is ministers, elders and deacons of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, as well as interested officers from other Presbyterian and Reformed churches. Through high quality editorials, articles, and book reviews we will endeavor to stimulate clear thinking and the consistent practice of historic Presbyterianism.