On December 12, 1958, the congregations of Covenant Orthodox Presbyterian Church and First Orthodox Presbyterian in San Francisco, California, merged into First OPC. Two years earlier, Pastor Lionel Brown had brought Covenant Church, then a Bible Presbyterian church, into the OPC. Earlier in 1958, Mr. Brown accepted a call to pastor Calvary OPC, Volga, South Dakota, which left both First Church and Covenant Church without a pastor. Consequently, the congregations joined and called Salvador Solis as pastor of First Church. After worshiping for a short time in the old Covenant Church property on Kensington Way, the newly joined congregation was able to purchase property from the Temple Adeth Israel at 1350 Lawson Street. In 1961 a new church building was finished, which is still used by First Church today.
Picture: Sal Solis