On July 29, 1936, the Presbytery of Philadelphia meeting at Gethsemane Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia received six congregations into membership. The six congregations were Calvary Church, Germantown; Redeemer Church, West Philadelphia; West Pittston Church, West Pittston; Bethany Church, Nottingham; Valley Forge Church, Norristown; and Head of Christiana Church, Newark, Delaware. The Presbytery also received ministers Leslie Dunn and J. Lyle Shaw.
Calvary Church would later move to Glenside and continues today as a congregation in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. J. Lyle Shaw would serve as a church planter in Newport, Kentucky until his retirement in 1952. Les Dunn would serve as pastor of five different OPC congregations until his retirement in 1980. In 1997 at the age of 89, he served as a commissioner to the 64th General Assembly.
Picture: J. Lyle Shaw
© 2023 The Orthodox Presbyterian Church